Abu Dhabi: All passengers in a car will be required to wear seat belts failing which the driver of the vehicle will be fined Dh400 and slapped with four black points, according to a draft law on traffic regulations and penalties approved by the Ministry of Interior on Wednesday.
The new regulations, covering a comprehensive range of traffic discipline and violations, will be implemented across the country following their publication in the UAE Gazette.
The date of implementation of the regulations is to be confirmed.Officially signed by Lieutenant General Shaikh Saif Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Interior, the new regulations cover multiple violations, the penalties for which include heavy fines, black points, and impounding of vehicles.
Reckless driving will incur a fine of Dh2,000, 23 black points, and impounding of the vehicle for a period of 60 days. The same punishment and fine will be applied to drivers who endanger the lives of others. Reckless driving will also apply to buggy drivers, who will receive a Dh3,000 fine and have their buggy impounded for three months. Drivers caught under the influence of alcohol or drugs will have their license suspended for one year, starting from the day of the verdict.
- Driving at 80km/h over the speed limit: Dh3,000 fine, 23 black points, and car impounded for 60 days.
- Lack of child safety seat for children up to four years of age: Dh400 fine and four black points.
- Driving without a licence plate: Dh3,000 fine, three black points, and vehicle impounded for three months.
- Stopping cars on the road and blocking traffic: Dh1,000 fine.
- Drivers who litter on the road: Dh1,000 fine and six black points.
- Carrying dangerous or flammable materials without official permission: Dh3,000 fine, 24 black points, and vehicle impounded for 30 days.
- Window tinting: Cars can have their windows tinted at 50 per cent, which has been increased from the 40 per cent limit. All windows except the front windshield can be tinted.
- Drivers who drive with learners permit will be suspended from driving for one year and get 24 black points, and they will not be allowed to reapply for a driving license during that period.
- Drivers with black points will have the points dropped one year from the date they pay their fine, provided they do not receive any other violation during the period.
- Heavy vehicle drivers who commit any traffic violations will have their licenses suspended for one year and receive a Dh3,000 fine. The drivers will have to take training sessions after the completion of the suspension term.
- Motorcycle riders without a helmet: Dh500 fine and four black points. The same punishment will be applied if pillion riders are not wearing a helmet.
- Car rallies on occasions such as National Day must receive permission from authorities or risk a fine of Dh500, four black points, and impounding of the vehicle for 15 days.
- A: Driving a vehicle dangerously in a way that endangers his or other people’s lives Dh2,000 23 points – 60 days confiscation
B: Driving in a way that harms public or private properties Dh2,000 23 points – 60 days confiscation
- Driving under influence of alcohol Penalty to be decided by the court 23 points, 60 days confiscation
- Driving under the influence of drugs or similar substances Penalty to be decided by the court 60 days confiscation – license to be suspended for one year starting from the date the driver completes his punishment
- Driving without a number plate Dh3,000 23 black points – 90 days confiscation
- A: Driving a heavy vehicle dangerously in a way that endangers his or other people’s lives Dh3,000 License to be suspended for one year
B: Driving a heavy vehicle in a way that harms public or private properties Dh3,000 License to be suspended for one year
- Heavy vehicle jumping the red light Dh3,000 License to be suspended for one year
- Heavy vehicle causing his or another vehicle to overturn Dh3,000 License to be suspended for one year
- Heavy vehicle not abiding by lane discipline Dh,1500 12 black points
- A: loading a heavy vehicle in a way that endangers others or the road Dh2,000 Six black points
- Entering prohibited areas Dh1,000 4 black points
- Leaking, spilling or dropping of heavy vehicle’s load Dh3,000 12 black points
- Failure to fix reflective tapes on heavy vehicles Dh500
- Driving industrial, construction and mechanical equipment without a license Dh1,500
- Failure to raise the exhaust pipe in heavy vehicles Dh1,500
- Failure to cover a heavy vehicle’s load Dh3,000
- Failure to abide by loading and unloading in designated areas Dh1,000 4 black points
- Heavy vehicle overtaking in areas where it is prohibited Dh3,000 License to be suspended for one year
- Driving a heavy vehicle that does not abide by safety standards Dh2,000 Six black points
- A: Driving a vehicle against traffic Dh600 4 black points – Light vehicle to be confiscated for 7 days.
B: Entering with a vehicle into prohibited areas Dh1,000 8 black points – Light vehicle to be confiscated for 7 days
- Driving with a car that causes noise pollution Dh2,000 12 black points
- Driving a vehicle that causes environmental pollution Dh1,000 Six black points
- A: Driving an uninsured vehicle Dh500 Four black points, 7 days confiscation.
B: Driving unlicensed vehicle Dh500 Four black points, 7 days confiscation
- Driving a vehicle that is licensed from a foreign country illegally Dh400
- Driving a vehicle on a different license for a different type of vehicle Dh400 12 black points
- A: Driving a vehicle on an expired license Dh500 4 black points 7 days confiscation.
B: Driving a vehicle on an expired registration Dh50,0 4 black points 7 days confiscation if the registration more than three months ago
- A: Driving a vehicle that does not abide by safety standards Dh500.
B: Driving a vehicle that is unfit for driving Dh500
- A: Driving a car with one number plate Dh400. B: Driving a car with faded numbers on the plate Dh400
- Driving a vehicle at below the minimum speed set for the road (if any) Dh400
- Swerving suddenly Dh1,000 Four black points
- Reversing dangerously Dh400 Four black points
- Overtaking dangerously Dh600 Six black points
- A: Using the mobile while driving Dh800, four black points.
B: not focusing on driving and being distracted in any way Dh800, four black points
- A: Jumping a red light (light vehicle) Dh1,000 12 black points 30 days confiscation.
B: Jumping a red light (motorbike) Dh800, four black points 30 days confiscation
- Exceeding the maximum speed by not more than 80km/h Dh3,000 23 black points 60 days confiscation for light vehicles
- Exceeding the maximum speed by more than 60km/h Dh2,000 12 black points 30 days confiscation
- Exceeding the maximum speed by not more than 60km/h Dh1,500 6 black points 15 days confiscation
- Exceeding the maximum speed by not more than 50km/h Dh1,000
- Exceeding the maximum speed by not more than 40km/h Dh700
- Exceeding the maximum speed by not more than 30km/h Dh600
- Exceeding the maximum speed by not more than 20km/h Dh300
- Disregarding policeman’s instructions Dh400 4 black points
- Overtaking from the hard shoulder Dh1,000 Six black points
- Entering the road dangerously Dh600 Six black points
- Overtaking in prohibited areas Dh600
- Running away from a policeman
Light vehicle: Dh800 and 12 black points, 30 days confiscation
Heavy vehicle: Dh1,000, 16 black points
- Causing death to somebody Fine to be decided by court 23 black, 60 days confiscation
- Causing a serious accident or injuries Fine to be decided by court 23 black points, 30 days confiscation
- Escaping after a minor accident Dh500 for light vehicles, 8 black points, 7 days confiscation Heavy vehicle: Dh1,000, 16 black points
- Allowing a child below 10 years or 145CM height to sit in the front seat (Dh400)
- Failure to fix child seats for children under 4 years (fine of Dh400)
- Failure to wear seatbelt by driver –or by any of passengers (Dh400 fine) for both driver and passengers, with 4black points to be issued against the driver
- Failure to leave a safe distance (Dh400 fine) and giving 4 black points
- Entering road without making sure it is clear (Dh 400), and 4 black points
- Failure to give priority to emergency , police and protocol vehicles Dh1000), 6 black points
- Parking vehicles at fire extinguisher hose and areas designated for people with special needs (Dh1000), 6 black points
- Stopping in the middle road with valid reason (DH1000), and 6 black points
- Stopping in the yellow box (Dh500)
- Parking vehicles on the left-hand side of the road in prohibited areas (Dh1000)
- Stopping at Zebra crossings (Dh500)
- Parking behind other vehicles and blocking their way (Dh500)
- Stopping taxis in prohibited areas (Dh500), and four black points
- Stopping vehicles and road turns (Dh500)
- Parking in a way without securing the car (Dh500)
- Parking illegally (Dh500)
- Parking in a way that endangers road users or blocking their way (Dh400)
- Parking on pavements (Dh400)
- Writing or posting on the vehicle without a permit (Dh500)
- Exceeding the percentage of car window tinting, or tinting a vehicle. which is not allowed to be (Dh1500)
- Failure to give pedestrians priority at the designated crossings (Dh500), and 6 black points
- Faiure to abide by traffic signs (Dh500)
- Littering from vehicle windows while driving (Dh1000), 6 black points
- Placing traffic signs and cones in a way that harms the road or block traffic (Dh550)
- Engine or sassy modifications with permit (Dh1000), 12 black points and confiscation of 30 days
- Rubber neck and crowds at the scenes of traffic accident (Dh1000)
- Using the vehicle for undesignated purpose (dh300), and 4 black points
- Transporting passengers illegally (Dh3000), and 24 black points, confiscation for 30 days
- Transporting inflammable ale or dangerous materials without permission (Dh3000), 24 black points and confiscation for 60 days
- Transporting passengers in vehicle that is not licensed for passengers (Dh1000), and 4 black points
- Transporting extra passengers (Dh500), 4 black points and confiscation for 7 days
- Failutre to take safety precautions when the car breaks down (Dh500)
- Failure to wear helmet by motorcyclists and passengers (Dh500), 4 black points for the driver
- Expired tyres (Dh500), 4 black points, and confiscation for 7 days.
- Failure to use indicators for road directions (Dh400)
- Failure to give priority to cars coming from the back or the left-hand side (Dh400)
- Failure to get the car technically tested after any major engine or Shasi modifications (Dh400)
- Light vehicles’ failure to abide by lane discipline (Dh500)
- Broken Car lights (Dh400), 6 black points
- Broken indicators or back lights (Dh400), and 2 black points
- Pedestrian’s failure to abide by signals, or crossing from undesignated areas (Dh400)
- Schoolbus driver failing to activate the stop sign or abide by traffic instructions (Dh500, six black points)
- Driver failing to stop when the bus drivers activates the stop sign. (Dh1,000, 10 black points)
- Using a leisure bike with three or more wheels (Dh3,000, 90 days confiscation)
- Driving on lanes designated for buses or taxis (Dh400)
- Participating in a motorcade without a permit (Dh500, 4 black points, 15 day confiscation)
- Changing the vehicle colour without permission (Dh800)
- A: Towing a car or a boat without a permit or towing a car or boat in an unsafe manner (Dh1,000)
- Broken or absence of back or sidelights on the tow truck (Dh500, 4 black points)
- Obstructing the traffic in any other way not mentioned in this table (Dh500)
- Making a u-turn from undesignated areas or in an incorrect manner (Dh500, 4 black points)
- Loading a light vehicle in a way that endagers others or the road (Dh500, 4 black points)
- Overloading a light vehicle (Dh500, 4 black points)
- Dropping or spilling load from a light vehicle (Dh500)
- Illegal use of commercial number plates (Dh500, 7 days confiscation)
- Driving during the night or foggy conditions without turning on the headlights, or driving in foggy conditions in violation of authorities’ instructions (Dh500, 4 black points)
- Using a car’s sound system or honking in a way that disturbs others, or driving at residential areas, education zones, hospitals in a way that endangers lives of others (Dh400, 4 black points)
- Failure to present registration or driving license (Dh400)
- Driving school vehicles in times and areas that are prohibited (Dh400)
- Teaching someone to drive in a car that is not labelled as learning vehicle, or teaching without a license (Dh500)
- Not presenting a learners permit (Dh300)
- Failure to hand over a driving license when the maximum black points are accrued in the first traffic violation (Dh1,000)
- Failure to hand over a driving license when the maximum black points are accrued in the second traffic violation (Dh2,000)
- Failure to hand over a driving license when the maximum black points are accrued in the third traffic violation (Dh3,000)
- Failure to pick up confiscated car once the confiscation period is over (Dh50 per day, a maximum of Dh3,000)
- Failure to pick up confiscated heavy vehicle once the confiscation period is over (Dh100 per day, maximum Dh3,000)